Overview of SBS and SEBS blending modification
SBS and SEBS are the most common rubber substrate materials for elastomer blending modification. Among them, SBS is an early low-end substrate variety, which is still used in shoe materials, toys and other products. The molecular chain of SBS contains carbon-carbon unsaturated double bonds, which makes SBS anti-aging and has poor crack resistance, which also limits its blending and modification applications. Hydrogenated SBS (ie SEBS), by introducing two hydrogen atoms on each unsaturated bond, makes the chemical bond between atoms reach a saturated structure (this process is called hydrogenation), corresponding to the chemical stability of SEBS, aging resistance etc. are better. The application fields of elastomer alloys based on SEBS are more extensive. Characteristics and applications of TPEs blended with SBS substrates
1. Overview SBS has good oil-extending properties and can absorb naphthenic oil, paraffin oil, etc. The material processability is improved by the oil extension, while the hardness is reduced. In addition, polymer resins can be blended in the SBS oil-extended system to improve its hardness and material strength, and inorganic fillers can be added to reduce material costs.
2. Features Soft particles, specific gravity 0.88~1.2, hardness 10~95A, with rubber elasticity, soluble in gasoline, benzene and other solvents. Not resistant to aging, TPR outdoor is easy to crack when exposed to light oxidation. It is a thermoplastic material, which can be injection molded, extruded, and drool-molded. The softening point is 60~70℃, and the melting point is 150~180℃.
3. Application Toy products, shoe soles, soft products that do not require high aging resistance.
Characteristics and applications of TPEs modified by blending of SEBS substrates
1. Overview SEBS has better oil-extending properties, which improves material processability and reduces hardness through oil-extending. In addition, polymer resin can be blended in SEBS oil-extended system to improve its hardness and material strength, and inorganic fillers can be added to reduce material cost.
2. Features Soft particles, specific gravity 0.86~1.2. Hardness 10~95A, and super soft TPE gel with hardness lower than 0A. TPE is a thermoplastic material that can be injection molded, extruded, and drool-molded. TPE has good anti-aging and anti-cracking properties. But UV resistance is poor.
3. Application Medical, daily consumer goods, wire and cable, tools and equipment, electronic products, household items, etc.
Functional SEBS blending modification SEBS itself has models with different physical properties (such as molecular weight, hydrogenation degree, styrene/butadiene content, molecular chain arrangement structure, etc.), which provides support for blending and modifying TPE with different characteristics. In addition, with different oil filling times, a wide range of hardness options can be obtained; by adding functional additives, it can be compounded into coating, flame retardant, antibacterial, damping, antistatic, spray-free hand paint, anti-ultraviolet, silicone texture, etc. TPE grades with different characteristics. This also makes the application field of TPE continue to be deeply cultivated and extended.